Ransomware is a type of malicious software that encrypts a victim's files, rendering them inaccessible. The attacker then demands a ransom from the victim to restore access to the data upon payment.
How Does Ransomware Spread?
Ransomware can be spread through spam, downloaded from the internet, or even injected into a document. Once the ransomware is installed, it prevents users from accessing their files or the computer system altogether.
About Aimnip Ransomware
Aimnip Ransomware is a malicious program known as ransomware. Aimnip is delivered through a Win32 EXE file and has been spotted inside the following files and processes: ['Windows Defender.exe', 'otets.exe', 'spotifySetup.exe']. Aimnip encrypts all the files in a computer until the user pays a ransom. Aimnip Ransomware drops a file named cover_UrFiles.txt, containing the ransom note. Files encrypted by Aimnip ransomware will have a .aimnip extension appended at the end of the file name.
Aimnip Ransomware Capabilities:
- Spawns processes Writes ini files Queries a list of all running processes
- Monitors certain registry keys / values for changes
- Sample monitors Window changes analyze the sample with the simulation cookbook Creates COM task schedule object (often to register a task for autostart)
- Deletes the backup plan of Windows
- Creates a start menu entry (Start Menu\\Programs\\Startup) Tries to harvest and steal browser information (history, passwords, etc)
- Creates files inside the user directory
- Contains long sleeps (>= 3 min)
- Uses bcdedit to modify the Windows boot settings
- Contains capabilities to detect virtual machines
- Creates a start menu entry (Start Menu\\Programs\\Startup)
- Queries the cryptographic machine GUID
- Tries to harvest and steal browser information (history, passwords, etc)
- Creates a window with clipboard capturing capabilities
- Overwrites Mozilla Firefox settings Modifies user documents (likely ransomware behavior)
How to Remove Ransomware??
There are several ways to remove ransomware, but the two most effective are via security software and via using a Windows Defender security software program. The first will remove the ransomware from the system, and the second will then remove any files that have been locked and can no longer be accessed.
- Disconnect your computer from the internet
- Uninstall any programs that have been maliciously installed on your computer
- Remove any malicious files from your computer by hand
- Use anti-malware programs to remove any malicious programs that have been installed.
- Search for a decryptor tool for your specific kind of malware.
How Protect From Aimnip Ransomware?
There are a few things you can do to protect yourself from the Aimnip virus. The first is to make sure that you have a strong antivirus program installed on your computer. It should be able to identify any malicious programs as they spread and block them from executing.