Allegations that Trump violated the Emoluments Clause have been tossed out by a federal appeals court this Friday.
More Than 200 Dems’ Allegations Dismissed
June 2017 saw more than 200 congressional Democrats suing Trump for allegedly violating the Emolument Clause by profiting from his hotels, which many foreign officials have visited and booked events in what Dems say is an effort to appease Trump.
“The [House] Members can, and likely will, continue to use their weighty voices to make their case to the American people, their colleagues in the Congress and the President himself, all of whom are free to engage that argument as they see fit. But we will not – indeed we cannot – participate in this debate,” the court’s ruling said, previously stating that the Members who brought the suit “lacked standing” as they had in no way represent the full House and Senate.
A previous ruling in August stated that President Trump could challenge the suit. Now, several months later in February, Trump is quite satisfied with the results, calling it a complete win.
Another win just in. Nervous Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats in Congress sued me, thrown out. This one unanimous, in the D.C. Circuit.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 7, 2020
Sen. Richard Blumenthal and Rep. Jerrold Nadler, who were among the organizers of said lawsuit, expressed their disappointment of the outcome during a joint statement, calling the ruling a “technical dismissal,” and promising that they will continue their efforts to bring Trump to justice.
The Emoluments clauses essentially ban presidents from receiving any gifts or payments from foreign governments or leaders. Trump handed over his companies’ control over to his sons upon taking the position of president, although he never divested from them, which is what Democrats interpreted as a violation of the clause, leading to the lawsuit.